Moanalua High School Culinary Arts
Cavatelli with Zucchini and Sauteed Eggplant, Ewa Sweet Onion, and Kauai Shrimp with MacNut & Naked Cow Cheese Pesto
Yield: 4 Servings
- Sautéed Shrimp, Eggplant, and Onion:
- 8 Kaua`i shrimp, small pieces
- 1 Eggplant, strips
- 1 Ewa sweet onion, slivers
- ¼ cup Butter
- ½ cup Olive oil
- T/T Salt
- T/T Chilli flake
1. Remove shells from shrimp and devein. Sauté shrimp heads in butter and ¼ c. oil until fully cooked. Sauté pieces until pink. Set aside.
2. Sauté eggplant until soft. Add salt and chili flake.
3. Sauté onions until caramelized. Add salt.
- 1 Zucchini
- T/T Salt
- Slice zucchini into strips. Boil in salted water then cool in ice bath or cool running water.
- Semolina Cavatelli:
- 1 cup Semolina flour
- 1 cup All-Purpose flour
- 3 oz. hot/tepid water
1. Using a food processor, mix together semolina flour, all-purpose flour, and water until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Press mixture together in hands until it forms a ball. Knead the dough for 7–10 minutes on a cutting board until elastic. The dough should a slightly spring back when stretched apart and not break.
3. Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside.
4. Roll dough into a thin “snake.” Hand-crank through cavatelli maker.
5. Boil for 5–10 minutes, or until cooked.
- Naked Cow Cheese & Mac Nut Pesto:
- 1 cup basil
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup Naked Cow cheese
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- T/T Salt & pepper
- Add ingredients to food processor and process until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss cooked cavatelli, eggplant, onion, zucchini, and shrimp on low heat with a thin layer of pesto sauce. Garnish with shrimp drippings and shrimp heads.